Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Passenger Paranoia

My weekend was pretty uneventful, and filled with Ivy. Until last night, I hadn't seen my own bed since Wednesday. I think it's time I get a drawer so that I don't have to pack a "night bag" when I leave my house anymore.

Thursday I began my training for a pong tournament coming up in April. This will be my cousins 5th annual beer pong tournament, and last year I was the first one in the family to win it. This year I plan on being the first team to win the tourney twice. Now when I say training, I don't mean binge drinking like the movie Beer Fest. Training to me is perfecting my skill, because it's about hitting all the cups first and winning. Some people go for the drinking, but I'm competitive as hell and hate to lose in anything. So for the next 3 months I will be playing pong at least 3 times a week.
(Yes I know... I have amazing life priorities)

Friday Ivy and I watched a movie and then went home where her crazy neighbors fought till 4:30am. That couple is seriously crazy. They yell and scream at the top of their lungs all night, and I can totally hear stuff crashing and banging around. This has happened more than a handful of times, and next time I think I may call the cops. Someone needs to get a hold of this situation. But I'll let Ivy make that decision since I don't actually live there.





Saturday I realized why I prefer to drive everywhere no matter where I am going or who I'm with... I have a serious fear of riding with someone else.

I was sitting in the back of the car with one of Ivy's friends driving. I swear I didn't do any backseat driving, but the entire time we were driving I was critiquing everything she did. Tailgating. Changing lanes without blinkers. Braking too hard. Shifting too hard. Not knowing where the fuck she is driving!
Inside my own head I was going crazy. I started thinking about how I pretty much always drive when me and my friends go out. It's not because they tell me to, I guess I just feel like I'm the best driver out of all of us. (This is probably true) 
There really are only a handful of people I can ride with and feel safe. And these are people I have known for many years. To be honest, Ivy's driving scares me the most. At night anyway. She is a pretty good driver during the day, but she is night blind and doesn't wear glasses for it. So when the sun goes down, I become afraid for my life. She drives way too close to other cars, and since we sit so low I wonder how she is going to stop in time when she sees the person in front of us hit their brake. She also can't see curbs when turning, so we have totally run a few of those over.
 I am constantly asking her if she wants me to drive, even when it's her car. Or, i'll just buy her a few drinks before we leave somewhere and then i'll say, "I better drive".

Does that make me a jerk?

I'm not really sure what it is, but as I sit here writing this, I'm realizing that the friends I feel safe with, drive trucks or SUV's. Maybe I'm just scared of being in a small car. Maybe I'm so use to my Jeep and how high it is, that I don't feel secure unless I know that our vehicle is gonna win if we are in a crash.

HHHMMMMMMMM........


5 comments:

  1. Bahaha Ivy's driving reminds me of my best friend's. I ALWAYS offer to drive when we go somewhere because she has been in almost 20 accidents. I am seriously scared for my life when she drives. I don't think you always wanting to drive is being a jerk, it's looking out for your safety! I'm sure Ivy doesn't mind. I prefer the guy to drive because it is kind of cute and old-fashioned, plus more convenient for me.
    And I gave you a blog award :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't believe you let me drive you Jeep reading this :) However, the very first sentence of this blog, is one of the most romantic things I've ever read. :) I might have to write that down. I like where this is going Ry. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. NOOOO WAY! Don't feel bad, you're the boy you're supposed to drive. I love it when boys drive, if you really want to impress Ivy open her car door for her, then you'll have her wrapped around your finger ;) lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rach - I just don't want Ivy to feel inadequate ya know? I don't think she does, but that's me over thinking things like I always do lol. And thank you very much for the award!!

    Jess - I didn't say anything about others driving my Jeep. But you should definitely feel special. I've only let a handfull of people drive my baby. You have driven it the most out of anyone. Could be all those times I had you drive while we towed your pos around town 4 times haha!

    Celeste - If you only knew. I'm way more romantic than I might put out. I was brought up to always open a door for a lady (whether car or building) and to NEVER let them pay. Of course I give in and let them pay once in awhile ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Being a back-seat driver doesn't make you a jerk, just a control freak. It's not a bad thing. Also, when I lived in the ghetto (not a joke, I straight up lived in the projects for two years when I was in grad school), I had to call the cops for domestic violence numerous times... The first time was actually my first night in the apartment. The sound of sirens at least made everyone shut up so I could go to bed. So dial 9-1-1. That's my advice.

    ReplyDelete