Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Night Terrors


It seems to me that most people sleep a lot better when laying in bed with someone else. I have heard countless times from my friends that they, "Like a warm body next to them". Unfortunately, I am not one of those people. It's not that I don't like sleeping next to someone, I just sleep like shit when someone is laying next to me. I have had girls tell me it is because my bed must not be comfortable for me. But when I stay at their place, in the "Most comfortable bed in the world" they tell me, I still sleep like shit!!

I was with a girl for 3 years, and it wasn't really till the end of that relationship that I started sleeping ok next to her. I am pretty sure this is just a comfort issue. When I am trying to sleep next to someone, I worry about WAY too many things that I don't need to worry about. For instance, when I am alone in a bed, I move around a lot because it is hard for me to get comfortable. And I'm not talking just slight movements, I'm talking about some violent rolling over action going on in my bed. I am completely aware of this, and when a lady is in the bed with me, I start finding myself moving as gently as possible. I don't want to wake my bed partner because I can't get comfortable, so I often sit in uncomfortable positions for long periods of time trying to decide when I should make the next movement.

I like to cuddle in the bed, and as long as you do too, I don't mind wrapping my arms around you all night spooning. That is pretty comfortable to me, but then again, that also brings up its own issues. I start wondering if I am breathing on your neck and if it is annoying. How's my breath? How's my breath??

Eventually I can fall sleep, but then I'll wake up because I thought I heard myself snore. Did I snore? Did she hear me snore? Can someone even hear themselves snore? I don't think so. But this is the type of shit that goes through my head when I am laying next to a woman in bed.

2 comments:

  1. I just came across your blog -- funny that you're writing about this because I'm the same way. I need to toss and turn before I get into a comfortable state, and when I sleep with someone I'm always worried that I'm disturbing them. Or that I'll look similar to a monster in the morning. I'm following! =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm the same way, at least when a relationship is still fairly new. I toss and turn a lot all night and am always afraid of waking up the other person. My ex is a cop, and he would have to wake up at 4 am to go to work. I never slept good next to him because I would try to stay as stiff as a rail so I wouldn't disturb his few hours of sleep. He also liked to hold me tight all night which bugged the crap out of me. I like to cuddle at first, but don't sleep well smashed up against someone all night. He would hold me super tight and then twitch in his sleep. Glad when that relationship ended and I got wonderful sleep in my own bed!

    ReplyDelete